As the crowning point on the Hill Building, built in 1890 by Charles Hill Albina’s first mayor on the corner of NE Russell St and N Williams Ave in Portland, Oregon’s NE, the onion shaped dome was styled after the Taj Mahal in India which was popular architect of the time. The Hill Building stood in the old city of Albina and was the center of the business district however, time marched on and Portland expanded making the city of Albina a part of it in 1892.
Marching further along time layed havic on the Hill Building and by the late 1970’s torn down as a nearby hospital looked to expand facilites sadly, the expansion never came about as funds dried up. As a cultural landmark the dome was moved to Dawson Park in 1978 and used as a seating area but again old man time beat down upon the cupola and in May 2008 the pride of the dome shown bright again when renovations where completed as shown in the above pictures looking more Taj Mahal then ever.
Today, when not raining outdoor concerts and other public events occur hear and is enjoyed by all in the surrounding Elliot neighborhood and Portland.